Tuesday, June 12, 2018

3 days till it begins - moving in

I've officially made landing in St. John's after a long journey across Canada. It feels like the first time in a long journey that I'm finally waking up and going to sleep in the same place, and in my own bed. Well, own is relative here.

I had ordered furniture from IKEA but they canceled my order without explanation, blaming my bank. I called my bank who said they did no such thing. Best I can figure IKEA decided they didn't want to ship to Newfoundland so just cancelled my order. Another classmate has his delayed until who knows when, and he's coming with a baby in tow. I sent out a call for help on the local Facebook group. Credits to that Newfoundland hospitality (southerners got nothing on us): everyone responded by recommending a million places to go, things they were selling, stuff they wanted to give to me for free. Everyone wanted to help move me in, no one wanted to be paid for it in money or craft beers (stopped at Quidi Vidi brewery for iceburg made beers).

Thanks to everyone's kindness, I now have a bed (although the frame cracked after the first day, so now I'm on box springs and falling out of bed), couches, coffee table (!!), and dining set. I never realized it was a luxury to eat and sit at the same time. Not too bad an introduction to my home for the next few months.

While here we dropped by my future home: a lonesome but beautiful tourist/fishing village up in northern Newfoundland. Despite the freezing location, it sells itself as the mildest winters in Canada...hm. I'll report back. So far a group of seals greeted me there by flipping around and sticking their heads at me. No moose welcoming party yet. Good. I'm still scared of them for mostly inane reasons.

Today I dropped my parents off at the airport. It's starting to feel real now. This feels like my own moving-out-for-college thing. I stayed at home during undergrad, and stayed close by for medical school. I never did the big move thing, even though I only visited home maybe once a month. Suddenly I feel like I'm on my way, even though the boyfriend is still here for a week or so.

Paperwork is still piling. I have not made a dent. I guess it's time to actually get to work now.

No comments:

Post a Comment