Saturday, January 1, 2022

Selling a student

 I once wrote a blog post (many blogs ago) about selling myself and how difficult that was. I was in the process of applying to residency programs as a senior medical student. I now sit in a faculty position (doctor? Professor? Both? Proctor or dofessor?) and have the immense privilege and delight of having students. 

One of my students has asked me for a reference letter. I said yes maybe a little too enthusiastically. 

I remember the distinct squirming of asking former preceptors to recommend me to residency programs. 

"Excuse me sir, I know you only met me for half an afternoon but that's longer than anyone else I've met on this rotation - can you please write me a reference letter?" 

Minor exaggeration, but not by much. 

Whatever I can do to ease the learners' hell on earth known as CaRMS, I'm excited to do. 

That said I'm confronted by the expectation of these letters. I didn't know what the process entailed when I asked preceptors. Apparently we can't just write "so and so is a great student", but have to write "they were AMAZING" "top 1% of all learners" "superior in every regard". Except if I write for more than one student they can't all be the top 1% and best I've ever worked with. I certainly can't make constructive comments like so and so faced some minor difficulties in this but showed rapid improvement, even though that, I think, is a glowing recommendation that someone is ready to grow and learn. So facetious overexaggerations it is? 

No comments:

Post a Comment