Monday, October 19, 2020

Getting back into things

 5 weeks and a Labrador later I'm finally back to routine clinics. 

Some interesting patients as always, though today's the first day I had to work without an electronic system. The EMR is great but we've become so dependent on it that I couldn't physically see patients without it.

It's also the first time myself and the other resident in this program finally got matching schedules and sat down for dinner. Prior to this we've literally always been in different provinces. It's incredibly validating to have someone else say "oh yeah that was brutal" and "nope! Never knew that either". 

It can be a very lonesome experience being the only resident going through something. I thought I left the impostor syndrome in first year residency, turns out it was just on vacation. It's come roaring back full force - to the point of me having nightmares nightly of providing subpar care while in Labrador. One bad clinic day is enough to call in question all that I thought of me as comfortable and competent in. 

So it's very nice to hear someone say they still find it a struggle to keep up as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment