Sunday, August 19, 2018

The med student underground tunnel

Among the most prolific rumor mills is the under-breath whispering of all medical students and residents: past, present, and future. Not only does details of interesting cases get passed around, but the real nuggets of information are the details on rotation sites and preceptors.

Which sites have the best call rooms? Which call rooms have windows and a better wifi signal? Which parking lot was designed to scratch up your car?

The real important question is: which preceptor do you avoid?

No stranger to these questions, I've contributed a few myself. I've advised classmates on my favourite rural rotations, best sites to get hands on suturing, and, of course, which staff physicians were the bane of my existence.

Over lattes and cocktails alike, we've swapped stories of being pimped out (interrogated on our medical knowledge) in front of patients by certain doctors. I shared the story of the surgeon who made me cry on my first day of clerkship ever. That one resident who used us for nothing but scut work (non medical work like buying coffee and photocopying lists). The doctors who are hard to reach on page.

The value of these wisdom-s can't be underestimated, but sometimes they're over exaggerated. There is one site of rotation for pediatrics that all former students rage against. They called it a waste of time, extreme hours, lots of psychiatric issues and in a boring town. I got sent there with only dread knotting my stomach. What I found was a charmingly small town with great school provided housing. An amazing preceptor with whom I still keep in touch and extremely immersive work in a rigorous but educational environment.

I have just recently again been warned against one of my upcoming preceptors. They won't be my main staff, but I will have to spend at least some days with them. 

I'm hoping this will be a case of over exaggeration, but like all things in the rumor mill, one can only go through it to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment